Sunday, April 8, 2012

Book Review: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Title:  Jurassic Park

Author:  Michael Crichton

Synopsis:  An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them- for a price. Until something goes wrong....

Review:

a.) Characters: 4/5 score.  Some of the characters were impossible not to like from the beginning.  Of course I am talking about Dr. Alan Grant!!  The book is told a little from each character’s point of view, and to be honest, it is easy to hate Ian Malcom at times and then to loath John Hammond even more.  But the characters felt very real to me.  

b.) Plot: 5/5 score.  Okay, OMG, dinosaurs, guys!  Of course this got 5 for the score!!  Reading this for the first time really changed a lot of things for me.  Even though I watched the movie (all three of them), there is something different about the plot when its in a book.  And this topped what you see in the movie.  

c.) Writing style: 3/5 score.  No really, it was amazing to read.  I loved the movies, all three of them.  When I got this, I was worried I was going to be let down because of how awesome the movies were- but it was the opposite!  I did enjoy the writing!  But when Malcolm would go on one of his rants, it was impossible not to cringe and want to skip those couple paragraphs.  

Rating: 12/15 total

OMG, just read it!  I have to admit, some of the technical stuff and Malcolm's rants were skip-worthy, but overall, it was hard to put down! 

No comments:

Post a Comment