Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Proposed Legislation

I want to talk about the banning of certain plants because the government says so.  
Now, before I get started, I do want to make it clear that I am not in favor of using drugs.  For medical reasons, yes.  Because someone wants the high, no.  And I understand why the Federal Attorney General would want to ban certain plants.  Clearly they are trying to keep drugs off the street and make the world a better place.  However, some plants they are now listing have included native plants that gardeners, herbalist, etc., often grow themselves.  Only because they are potientually able to be used to create drugs.  

My question is:  Seriously?  Have they ever been used to create drugs in the first place?  Why would this law even be considered?  It will make a mess.  Innocent gardeners will be arrested and sent to jail for this.  Is it honestly worth it?  Why must the government step in even further into our lives and restrict what we grow on our land?  Why must the government attempt to control us by limiting what we can and cannot plant freely?!  

I myself do not have a garden yet.  I plan on planting tomato plants, cucumbers, maybe basil, sage and rosemary.  I even have the location of my garden picked out.  I have yet to till the land, start a compost, or buy the seeds.  But now I am wondering if I will even be able to complete this task of mine.  I do not live in Australia, so I will not immediately be effecting by this law.  But how long do I have?  If simple plants are being restricted, what's next?  

Click here for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment