Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Book Haul (2) 6 books

All of these are physical books, one that I got at an amazing price at Half Price Book store on Monday.  My boyfriend and I absolutely love this place.  He likes looking at their music, DVD and VHS selections.  I head straight for the YA books.  


So the first books are part of a series by Melissa Marr, and I found them all in paperback right next to each other, so I couldn't turn my nose up at that!  If I don't like them, I will be taking them back to resell. 
 

(Since these are a part of a series, I am only going to list the synopsis for the first book.) 

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries. 
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty-especially if they learn of her Sight-and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. His is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost-regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; everything.

I am eager to read this series because it is faerie.  With everyone hyping over vampire, werewolves and witches, it is nice to get more faerie.  Obviously as with every review out there, I heard a mix of good and bad.  I always try to give books a shot no matter what others say.  The only other faerie books I have read at Holly Black's Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside, and Julie Kagawa's The Iron King.  


There's a difference between falling and letting go.

Lauren has a good life: decent grades, great friends, and a boyfriend every girl lusts after. So why is she so unhappy?

It takes the arrival of Evan Kirkland for Lauren to figure out the answer: She's been holding back. She's been denying herself a bunch of things (like sex) because staying with her loyal and gorgeous boyfriend, Dave, is the "right" thing to do. After all, who would give up the perfect boyfriend?

But as Dave starts talking more and more about their life together, planning a future Lauren simply can't see herself in -- and as Lauren's craving for Evan, and moreover, who she is with Evan becomes all the more fierce -- Lauren realizes she needs to make a choice...before one is made for her.


I never hear of this one.  I just happen to find it wedged between two bigger books and checked it out.  I haven't even checked any reviews on it.  I bought this one on a blind impulse. 


Selected for the Book Sense Autumn 2006 Children's Pick List


Brought up in a strict fundamentalist home, eighteen-year-old Grace feels trapped in a "suburban Alcatraz" by her overbearing father and her timid mother. An affair with a college professor--a man of the world who's more likely to quote Shelley than scripture--seems like a great escape. But freedom brings with it unanticipated complications and Grace discovers that being involved with an older man is not all chardonnay and poetry . . . 

Told from Grace's perspective, How It's Done is an unflinching story of love and freedom and the price you pay for both. 

Another book I fished out of an abyss.  I was going to put it back, but then I read part of the first chapter, and I needed to know how it ended.  Especially after that synopsis!  So it was a toss up between this one and another called Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel.  The only reason I decided for this is because reading the couple pages of the first chapter didn't grip me.  


Hold Still by Nina LaCour


In the wake of her best friend Ingrid's suicide, Caitlin is left alone, struggling to find hope and answers. When she finds the journal Ingrid left behind for her, she begins a journey of understanding and broadening her horizons that leads her to new friendships and first love. Nina LaCour brings the changing seasons of Caitlin's first year without Ingrid to life with emotion, honesty, and captivating writing.
 I had no choice.  I read the back, and I was enthralled.  I needed this book, like you need air, and food, and sleep.  I didn't even think twice- I just chucked it into the pile with the Wicked Lovely series and kept moving along.  They had it on display in Half Price Book store, which makes it look more than just a donation.  Still, once it is was in grasp, I didn't let it out of my sight.  Maybe because I had almost went through something like this with my best friend while growing up, or maybe these depressing novels just call to me.  Whatever the reason, this is the one I am looking forward to the most.  

I didn't get anything for my eReader, only because I still have the other two ebooks to read.  

Thanks for tuning in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment