Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Book Review: The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams

Title: The Alchemy of Forever

Author: Avery Williams

Synopsis: After spending six hundred years on earth, Seraphina Ames has seen it all. Eternal life provides her with the world's riches, but at a very high price: innocent lives. Centuries ago, her boyfriend, Cyrus, discovered a method of alchemy that allows them to swap bodies with other humans, jumping from one vessel to the next, taking the human's life in the process. No longer able to bear the guilt of what she's done, Sera escapes from Cyrus and vows to never kill again.

Then sixteen-year-old Kailey Morgan gets into a horrific car accident right in front of her, and Sera accidentally takes over her body. For the first time, Sera finds herself enjoying the life of the person she's inhabiting--and falls for the human boy who lives next door. But Cyrus will stop at nothing until she's his again, and every moment she stays, she's putting herself and the people she's grown to care for in great danger. Will Sera have to give up the one thing that's eluded her for centuries: true love?

Review:

a.) Characters: 3/5 score.  Sera is a moper.  In the beginning you learn of her plot to kill herself because she is sick of this continued existence.  While trying to save Kailey, she makes the switch and introduced Morgan family and all of Kailey’s friends at school.  Plus all the other Incarnates.  So the only characters you know a good bit about are Sera, as she is the main character, and Kailey, as Sera took her place.  In my opinion, everyone else falls short.  Not quite cardboard, but not really memorable.  

b.) Plot: 3/5 score.  I don’t know how i feel about the plot.  Sera just kept trying to leave Cyrus.  It gets interesting toward the end, and then Williams drops a bomb on you that could or could not be true.  If it was a stand-only book, the rating would be lower, but as there are more books, I am hopeful that this leads to something more or better.  

c.) Writing style: 3/5 score.  Sera did feel old, but ignorant at times(which is explain in the story as Cyrus sheltering her).  Yet Sera knew how to use Myspace, Facebook, an IPhone, and on that IPhone, Word’s With Friends.  Also, I hate when authors use specifics like all that listed above.  Because on a couple of months, Words With Friends will be forgotten.  Maybe I am nit-picking over that, but it’s something that always gets under my skin.  Other than that, nothing blew me away about her writing.  

Rating: 9/15 total

I want to continue reading the series, but I have to admit, beside curiosity, nothing else really had be reading more.  I like the idea, and I even like the beginning.  But then Sera's attitude got confusing (Should I stay or should I go now?).  The ending was a cliffhanger, and one that is plausible.  I wish I could give you more than that but it already feels like I said too much, so I will leave it at that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment