Thursday, February 23, 2012

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Title: Beautiful Creatures

Author: Kami Garcia, Margaret Stohl

Synopsis: Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever--and one secret could change everything.

Review:

a.) Characters: 3/5 score.  Didn’t really feel like a 16 year old boy and girl to me.  Sometimes they felt younger, and rarely did they feel older.  Ethan and Lera’s relationship develops over time, slowly and believable.  But in the process, I felt like other characters were lost.  I feel the only other major characters were Macon and Amma.  

b.) Plot: 3/5 score.  Nothing wrong with the storyline but it dragged at times, and I still have some questions (which I hope will be answered in book two).  It was an even pace, but it bordered on boring.  Don’t bite my head off, I was interested enough in it to finish it and still like the book.  It’s just, II don’t think the suspense carried through for me.  I liked the count down on each chapter to her birthday- but the longer the story dragged, the more annoying it was.  

c.) Writing style: 3/5 score.  The writing felt bland.  Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the plot, the characters, and the writing style, but it was missing something that would’ve bumped it up to a four star.  I don’t know if they purposefully tried to make it a long story, but I think the length is what really caused the story to lack the proper suspense.  It was, however, interesting to read a first-person where the main character is male.  

Rating: 9/15 total

I really have a hard time putting into words on how I feel about this book.  You see, I liked it and enjoyed it, but something was missing, something that gives a story a 'wow' feel to it.  Because that was lacking, I feel this story was just 'okay' and nothing great.  Maybe it will all work out in the end for me when I read the next book in the series, or maybe my opinion will worsen.  Whatever it is, this book is balanced on the fence and can go either way really fast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment