Monday, March 26, 2012

Book Review: Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

Title:  Ink Exchange

Author:  Melissa Marr

Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.

The tattoo does bring changes--not the kind Leslie has dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faery world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils. . . .

Review:

a.) Characters: 3/5 score.  The characters this time around were Leslie, Naill, and Irial.  And, sadly, I didn’t favor either over another at all.  As all the characters change within the story, I kept feeling irked at Leslie.  I can accept the need for change.  And I can accept her desire to not share her tattoo with anyone.  And I can even accept why she would want to keep it a secret!  But my biggest problem with Leslie is that she didn’t tell ANYONE!  (Read the damn book to understand!)  

b.) Plot: 4/5 score.  Leslie’s family life goes down the hole, her friends aren’t as close anymore, she’s seeking change for the better, and then she gets this awesome-looking tattoo that literally changes everything (for worse).  I liked the plot; the idea of the ink exchange was brilliant.  But as the wheel kept turning, the plot slowed down and eventually just disintegrated.  The end was weak and, if I may say so myself, borning.  

c.) Writing style: 3/5 score.  Nothing wrong with the style, but I guess I was looking for more than what I got.  The beginning was strong and powerful, but as the story progresses you soon find yourself not feeling it anymore.  (You’ll understand if you read the book).  I didn’t like that I didn’t have sympathy for Leslie at the end.  If anything, I was dumbfounded.  And not really in a good way.  

Rating: 10/15 total

This isn't really an important book for the series excepts that it shows Aislinn what Keenan keeps from her.  In my opinion, Keenan is a jerk! 

No comments:

Post a Comment