Friday, March 2, 2012

Book Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: Shiver

Author: Maggie Stiefvater

Synopsis: Grace and Sam share a kinship so close they could be lovers or siblings. But they also share a problem. When the temperature slips towards freezing, Sam reverts to his wolf identity and must retreat into the woods to protect his pack. He worries that eventually his human side will fade away and he will be left howling alone at the lonely moon.

Review:

a.) Characters: 3/5 score.  Sam and Grace didn’t feel their age; sometimes they felt so much younger and innocent I had to remind myself that Grace was 17 and Sam, 18.  All the other characters were really faded and flat in the story, but there is potential for the next books.  And I had a hard time digesting Sam and Grace’s love.  

b.) Plot: 3/5 score.  The beginning is informative background story, and then the actual story starts out very slow.  It does pick up and get interesting, but I’m afraid I wasn’t blown away by this like I was hoping to be.  The ending gave me ho[e and would’ve put this at four stars if the beginning hadn’t been so awkward.

c.) Writing style: 3/5 score.  The beginning was terrible to get through.  I had an amazingly hard time trying to understand what was happening.  I loved her idea of switching between Sam and Grace, but I don’t think she pulled it off.  My favorite part was the temperatures in the beginning of each chapter.  Other than that, even the romance, fell flat and lifeless for me.  

Rating: 9/15 total 


I know you guys are going to hate me for not falling in love with this book but I just couldn't.  I couldn't get passed the beginning for the longest time, and then, on top of that, the love that Sam and Grace had for each other was startlingly more "instant" than instant coffee.  And just as unbelievably bitter for me too.  She had so much she could've captured here, and I feel she fell flat.  I am still going to read the next ones in the series because I want to see if it gets better or worse.  After an ending like that, you kind of have to read the next book anyway!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment