Thursday, March 22, 2012

Book Review: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Title: Wicked Lovely

Author: Melissa Marr

Synopsis: Rule #3: Don’t stare at invisible faeries.
Rule #2: Don’t speak to invisible faeries.
Rule #1: Don’t ever attract their attention.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world.  When the rule that have kept Aislinn safe from them stop working, everything is suddenly on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.

Review:

a.) Characters: 4/5 score.  We get a glimpse of Keenan and a girl (who I assume is Donia) going through the process of testing the Winter Queen’s Staff in the prologue, and then we go to Aislinn (Ash) in chapter one.  All of these characters, plus Seth and some Summer court faeries, are amazingly real and personable.  From Aislinn and Seth’s growing relationship to the connection between Keenan and Aislinn, not counting Keenan’s feelings for Donia, and the evil plan of Beira, Melissa easily wraps you up in their lives that you don’t think twice about how she did it.  

b.) Plot: 4/5 score.  The plot was powerful.  You don’t know who you want to side with, and (if you’re like me) hope everyone can somehow get their way.  I did feel the plot wasn’t as strong as the characters, but it still held me and kept me reading.  I needed to read on to see what happened to these characters and what transpired between them.  

c.) Writing style: 3/5 score.  The writing wasn’t anything amazing for me.  A certain few times I felt the zing of awe while the faeries were talking among themselves or with Aislinn.  It was nice to read a believable tale of faery, but I still had a hard time taking in the point of views from the feys side.  

Rating: 11/15 total


I couldn't put this book down.  I kept turning the pages hoping that something or someone would give in.  It's so hard to accept the ending, because, in my opinion, it's not technically an ending.  Well, it is, but it also isn't.  You know what, read the damn book and come back here and tell me what you think, lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment