Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book Haul (3) 9 book

I got a good haul this time around, and it's only going to get better now that I joined NetGalley.  But let me start with the ones I have on my actual bookshelf and move on from there, shall we?

Title:  Shadow Kiss

Author:  Richelle Mead

Synopsis:  Rose Hathaway knows it is forbidden to love another guardian. Her best friend, Lissa-the last Dragomir princess-must always come first. Unfortunately, when it comes to gorgeous Dimitri Belikov, some rules are meant to be broken...

But since making her first Strigoi kills, Rose hasn't been feeling right. Something dark has begun to grow in her mind, and ghostly shadows warn of a terrible evil drawing nearer to the Academy's iron gates. And now that Lissa and Rose's sworn enemy, Victor Dashkov, is on trial for his freedom, tensions in the Moroi world are higher than ever.

Lying to Lissa about Dimitri is one thing but suddenly there's way more than friendship at stake. The immortal undead are on the prowl, and they want vengeance for the lives that Rose has stolen. In a heart-stopping battle to rival her worst nightmare, Rose will have to choose between life, love, and the two people who matter most..but will her choice mean that only one can survive?

I am sooo looking forward to this book.  I have read (and loved) both Vampire Academy and Frost Bite.  And just from what the description says I don't know how long I can wait before this book is the next one in my hands for reading! 

 Title:  Before I Fall

Author:  Lauren Oliver

Synopsis:  What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life? Synopsis:  

Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last. 

The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death--and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

So, wow, I totally can't wait to read this one.  I was skimming through chapters in Half Price Books and couldn't believe how easily I was pulled in!  I can't believe I got lucky that the still had a copy after two weeks.  I snagged it and paid the full half price on this hard back.

 Title:  Anna and the French Kiss

Author:  Stephanie Perkins

Synopsis:  Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?
 

Another one I caved and bought even though it is hard back, but it was at a reduced price. 

 Title:  The Breakup Bible

Author:  Melissa Kantor

Synopsis:  Jen Lewis is having a great junior year. She is the features editor of the school paper, and she’s dating Max Brown, the paper’s editor-in-chief. Everything is perfect—that is, until Max says, “Maybe it would be better if we were just friends.” In shock and total denial, Jen wonders how she is going to deal with the pain of seeing Max in school every day. Her misery only intensifies when her grandmother gives her a book that she heard about on the radio. Dr. Emerson’s The Breakup Bible claims that “there’s no reason a woman can’t get over a breakup very quickly if she’ll just follow a few basic commandments.” Jen is doubtful. What does Dr. Emerson know about her and Max? In a send-up to the scores of dating books on the market, Melissa Kantor’s The Breakup Bible tackles the aftermath of a high school romance with her trademark honesty, humor, and wit. 

This sounded unbelievably cute!!!  When I first spotted it, I though it might be promising but only knew for sure after I read the back.  I cannot wait to read this.  It sounds like it's going to be funny and easy! 

  Title:  Beastly

Author:  Alex Flinn

Synopsis:  I am a beast. A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog, but a horrible new creature who walks upright – a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I’m talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It’s no deformity, no disease. And I’ll stay this way forever – ruined – unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I’ll tell you. I’ll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and a perfect life. And then, I’ll tell you how I became perfectly beastly.
  

Ever since I first heard of this book I was dying to get it (big fan of Beauty and the Beast), but Half Price Books only had one copy and it was the movie poster.  I don't have anything against the movie poster, except that I fell head over heels for the simple rose cover.  Just when I was about the give in, I find the one with the rose!!!  Wins for me!  

 Title:  Wings

Author:  Aprilynne Pike

Synopsis:  Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful--too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.
In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

When i found this in Goodwill, I wasn't exactly sure I wanted to pick it up, but it's cover really pulled me.  After I bought it I realized the cover has a rave from Stephenie Meyer of the Twilight Series...  And to be honest, I got a little worried.  

  Title:  You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah! 

Author:  Fiona Rosenbloom

Synopsis:  Stacy Friedman is getting ready for one of the biggest events of her young life--her bat mitzvah All she wants is the perfect BCBG dress to wear, her friends by her side, and her biggest crush ever, Andy Goldfarb, to dance with her (and maybe give Stacy her first French kiss). But of course, things never work out quite the way you'd like them to. Her stressed-out mother forces her to buy a hideous beaded sequined dress that she wouldn't be caught dead in. Her mitzvahs are not going at all well. And then the worst thing in the entire world happens--Stacy catches her best friend, Lydia, making out with Andy. And thus she utters the words that will wreak complete havoc on her social life ...You are so not invited to my bat mitzvah! 

This sounds cute and adorable and probably something I won't keep once I am done reading it, but who knows.  

  Title:  A Curse Dark as Gold

Author:  Elizabeth C. Bunce

Synopsis:  Charlotte Miller has always scoffed at talk of a curse on her family's woolen mill, which holds her beloved small town together. But after her father's death, the bad luck piles up: departing workers, impossible debts, an overbearing uncle. Then a stranger named Jack Spinner offers a tempting proposition: He can turn straw into gold thread, for the small price of her mother's ring. As Charlotte is drawn deeper into her bargains with Spinner-and a romance with the local banker-she must unravel the truth of the curse on the mill and save the community she's always called home.  

Just take a minute to take in that cover.  Just... wow.  I thought this sounded interesting and got it on a whim, and now I am so eager to read it (because it's a fairy tale retelling) that I feel simply giddy.  

 Title:  Jurassic Park

Author:  Michael Crichton

Synopsis:  An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Creatures once extinct now roam Jurassic Park, soon-to-be opened as a theme park. Until something goes wrong...and science proves a dangerous toy.  

Like, what a find!!!  I was soooo shocked to find this as Goodwill.  I was all, "Who gets rid of Jurassic Park?!"  And my friend was all, "I don't care, look at my suit jacket."  Well, not exactly, but she definitely didn't share my joy in finding this.  To her, it was just more money I was going to spend there.  But Goodwill sells paperbacks for $0.99- that's right folks, I got this for 99 freaking cents!!!  How could I not buy it?  

And that wraps up what I got from Goodwill and Half Price Books.  I also got a book from Netgalley- which is fun trying to figure out how to put the damn things on my eReader (hint: not fun at all).  Rob said he'll figure it out, and I believe he will.  I just hope it's before the 55 days are up.  I have no idea what happens after 55 days- maybe the world ends, maybe all dairy products spoil-  but I have until then to read it.  

  Title:  Interrupted:  Life Beyond Words

Author:   Rachel Coker

Synopsis:  Can love really heal all things? If Sam Carroll hadn't shown up, she might have been able to get to her mother in time. Instead, Allie Everly finds herself at a funeral, mourning the loss of her beloved mother. She is dealt another blow when, a few hours later, she is sent from Tennessee to Maine to become the daughter of Miss Beatrice Lovell, a prim woman with a faith Allie cannot accept. Poetry and letters written to her mother become the only things keeping Allie's heart from hardening completely. But then Sam arrives for the summer, and with him comes many confusing emotions, both toward him and the people around her. As World War II looms, Allie will be forced to decide whether hanging on to the past is worth losing her chance to be loved.   

I normally avoid historical fiction as I never really have a taste for it, but I felt drawn to this one.  I sent a request for it, not even sure I would get it, and then- bam- it was approved and I eagerly started to get on Rob's nerves with trying to figure out how to get it on Eli.  

(Eli is my Ereader.  The "e" stands for eReader, and "li" stands for literati, which is the brand.)

I also requested Halfling by Heather Burch, and it says I was approved, but I am afraid if I open it I will only have 55 days to read that one too.  And in case you haven't figured it out, Netgalley is still very new to me.  Anyway, that's all I got for my haul/IMM/bookshelf thingy.  


Now get the hell outta here!  
I got reading to do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment